There is a good writeup by Prof Dr Christopher Boey Chiong Meng on dealing with children who have diarrhea or watery stools. An excerpt contains good tips to prevent children from getting diarrhea caused by infections:
- Make sure you feed your child dairy products that have been pasteurized in order to destroy harmful bacteria.
- Serve food right away after it has been cooked or reheated. It is better to eat food that is freshly cooked. However, if you’re planning to save the food for later, make sure you refrigerate it. Leaving food out at room temperature can encourage the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Ensure that you serve your child well-cooked foods.
- Teach your child to wash his hands well and often, especially after using the toilet, after touching pets and before eating.
- Keep bathroom surfaces in your home clean.
- If you’re planning to serve your child raw fruits and vegetables, make sure you wash them thoroughly first. Also, ensure that your hands are clean before you peel and cut them into smaller pieces.
- Refrigerate meats as soon as you bring them home from the supermarket.
- Teach your child to avoid drinking water straight from the tap.
- Exercise caution when you buy prepared foods from street vendors for your child.
Article source: http://parenthots.com/features/Running-child.aspx