Last Updated on July 31, 2021
Many people have not heard about the cane exercise. Basically, cane exercise involves, well, taking a cane – then beating, rubbing and massaging yourself with it. You must be thinking… huh??!!
But cane exercise is very effective because it involves activating meridian points in your body. In Chinese healing systems, it is believed that the key to health can happen if the energies in your body are balanced, in harmony and with smooth flowing of ‘chi’.
How Cane Exercise Came About
The founder is Madam Chan Ying Choon from Taiwan. I was dragged there by some aunties to attend the special session as the founder came down from Taiwan. She spoke about her experience in Mandarin and there was a English interpreter as the audience consists of all races.
This lady came from a poor background. She led a hard life and life dealt a cruel blow to her when she was involved in an accident that resulted severe spine injuries. The doctor told her that she will never be able to walk again. She was devastated- what was she going to do? She is the family’s breadwinner and cannot afford to be a liability. For a while, she suffered from depression.
What she did is that she took whatever equiment she could find- broomsticks, wood, etc and use it to specifically beat her meridian points to active them. It took her a few years but eventually, she could walk again, and she was much stronger than she was before. She was definitely much healthier and fitter than me.
What Type of Cane that is Used
There are 3 sizes of cane- it’s inexpensive and only sold for about RM15 per stick. But the picture above only show 2 sides- the long round one and semi moon shape. Measurements are given on the picture.
How the Exercise Works
Update 2018: I have managed to locate the video of the cane exercise that details the sequence for your better understanding:
- Activate your immune system
- Detoxification-Especially areas around the armpits and your upper thighs- beating those areas up enable the stagnant or toxins accumulated at certain areas to be flushed off
- Improve your circulation system
- Enable you to get a workout too- as you have to manually cane, massage and rub all over with the cane. You will definitely work out a nice sweat
- Improve flexibility- sometimes, when toxins or residues accumulate at certain areas like the joints or muscles, it causes the place to become stiff. I noticed the instructor is very flexible- as good as a yoga instructor even though she never learned yoga
- Affordable and inexpensive- all you need to do is to purchase the 2 sticks. The exercises are held at community halls so you only need to pay about RM10 per month- classes are once a week. If you are interested, email me and I will try to find out the locations and contact persons (only available in Klang Valley and Penang in Malaysia at the moment as far as I know)
Isn’t it weird to beat ourselves up? Most important of all, is it effective?
OK, I know I have to address this because this was my initial concern too. But there are some testimonials from some of the class followers:
- elderly folks who previously could hardly walk- because their joints were stiff all over is now able to walk
- folks that have insomnia- after using the head rub method, could sleep very well
There are more benefits. The cane exercise have been around for a few years. After following the exercises myself, I find that it gives the missing puzzle: balancing energy levels. If you are a frequent exerciser doing cardio, strength training and stretches but find ‘something missing’ then, look into balancing the energies in your body.
Do read the follow up article Cane Exercise that you can do to relieve joint stiffness and pain.
I am happy to read this blog on Rheumatoid Arthritis. Stuff is excellent, but Blog master has to cut down haste while doing work. Blog needs improvement. But information wise it is amazing. Rheumatoid Arthritis IS A BAD ILLNESS. That will make people bed ridden for years and people will die in severe pain. I have found a nice informative guide on Rheumatoid Arthritis from following URL
http://www.helpcure.com/ra If interested you too Can read.
This website will tell you guide How to Cure Rheumatoid Arthritis by Holistic Treatment – Only useful treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Hope for the best
Is the Cane Exercise suitable for people with Epilepsy ?
I am not sure about that – you may need to check with the instructor.
I hv been doing cane exercise for almost 6 yrs now. I find it very good & make me more flexi too!… Well when ever I feel the cold is coming after doing a good work-out on the cane the cold will just go away… I have a few ppl joining me in the cane exercise over here in BM at the Mengkuang Dam every Sat & Sun morning from 7:30am onwards. Hopefully more will come & join me in this form of exercise. I will be having a demo by the Master for KL this weekend on the 24/11 & 25/11.
Have a nice day! & go for the wonder cane!
Thanks for writing here. Cane exercise is really beneficial. There are those who search for it but unfirtunately not many people post details about this beneficial exercise. If you have a facebook page or website where you write aabout cane exercise, do let me know so that I can link to it. Thanks